Friday, April 18, 2014

Home-stay April 19

This morning I will be picked up at the Youngsun Hotel by my host.  Despite the fact that I have been effortlessly trying to learn and use Chinese words and phrases, I am feeling a bit anxious about staying in a house where I may struggle to communicate.  I recall this same feeling from when I was 16 years old, as I traveled by train from Paris, France to la Gare de Lyon, France to meet my new host family.   I remember getting of the train as the host father held a sign with my name on it , just as you see in movies.  I wonder what the first encounter will be like today.  I am hoping that maybe I will be staying with an English teacher, but I do not want to set myself up to be disappointed.  I wonder what they will serve and what my housing accommodations will be like.  I do believe this is the best way to understand another persons culture, to live in it, but it does not diminish the fearful feelings.  I do not know if I will have wifi access over the weekend, so I wish you all a Happy Easter (they do not celebrate Easter here) .  I will be spending all week next week at OUR sister-school, the Number 4 school as it is referred to.  I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you.  So, wish me luck...This is when the true adventure begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment